Monday, August 18, 2014

listen

So in the past 6 months or so I've started listening to whole albums again. I swear for the longest time the airwaves, social media screens and platforms have been bombarded with an endless stream of mind numbingly disgustingly catchy 'hits'. Don't get me wrong, I'm no music snob but man..... I'm pretty sure 'music' hit rock bottom and just decided to dig a grave and die there.

So the whole maybe I'll listen to an album started mid last year during report writing time. Spotify suggested Emeli Sande's Our Version of Events and I listened. I loved that the album represented a body of work. A collection of ideas and emotions and some insight into our life and times. It offered more than a catchy 'yeah yeah yeah' hook and I gobbled that shit up.

Then came The weekend's Trilogy album on Spotify and I guess my ears started to open up to the idea that there is-in-fact real albums out there. Albums that represent ideas and experiences from the artists whom are making the music. There was something heavier than the manufactured hits on offer. Sam Smith's EP (not a whole album but a collection none the less) was rotated heavily and I continued to be delighted in whole servings of Aaradhna, Childish Gambino & Haim. Over and over I listened to these albums as they helped me write reports, pack up my house and drive hundreds of kilometres interstate.


So I thought I'd share my favourite albums on heavy rotation. Some are old and some are new but all of them are tasty. Please....if you've heard of an album that's so good you just have to repeat it, then please tell. I've got my musical appetite back and in the words of Anthony Bourdain I'm hungry for more.

Emeli Sande / Sam Smith / Aaradhna / Haim
Quadron / Lily Allen / Ed Sheeran / La Roux


Like I said, I love the whole albums but if you're not into getting/listening to the whole set then get:

  1. Emeli Sande- My kind of love / Read all about it Pt. 3
  2. Sam Smith- Nirvana / Latch
  3. Aaradhna- Wake up / Back of my mind
  4. Haim- If I could change your mind / Days are gone
  5. Quadron- LFT / Seasalt
  6. Lily Allen- Our time / Hard out here
  7. Ed Sheeran- Thinking out loud / I see fire
  8. La Roux- Kiss and not tell / Sexotheque 



Big love,

Falala Mele

No comments:

Post a Comment