Saturday, August 11, 2012

Evening 4 NYC: Brooklyn eats and beats


What I wore: Skirt: City Chic $10 / Patterned shirt Thrifted $1 / Shoes $30 Converse


Hello lovely ones. How are you all? I hope that you are well and that this post finds you happy and healthy. So I'm up to day 4 of my USA summer holiday recount. This was our first Saturday night in New York. We were so very mad at ourselves for succumbing to the heat and having a little 'snooze' on the previous night. We had contacted Gabby to see what her plans were and she said we could meet up after her rehearsal in Brooklyn on the Friday night. That small snooze turned into a six hour sleep....DAMN jet lag got the better of us and we vowed never to waste another New York night again.

What I wore: I had a suitcase full of clothes ready to roll. I had some sort-of outfits set for certain days but because I had a lot of open days free to hangout with the girls I planned to just pick what I wanted to wear as we got ready. I had a lot of cute short sleeved jackets to wear but the heat was much hotter than last year so a lot of the clothes I had were just too hot. The materials were bright and patterned but many of them were not breathable. So I just had to flip the script and wear my cool and breathable clothes. I wore my simple black City Chic skirt. I picked it up at the Campbelltown outlet for $10. I love the cut of this skirt and I wear it a lot with various tops and it's just the right length to pass as a dress. My patterned shirt was thrifted and I picked it up on a half-price summer sale for only $1. I paired it with my black chucks just to keep it simple and comfortable. Green button earrings, bag and chain were thrifted too. My hair started straightened and down but as you will see in the remainder of my posts; it always got too hot and I eventually chucked it all up out of my face. Either that or I simply only had 15minutes to get ready before we had to leave. We were always late. ALWAYS.


So even though we were out all day on Saturday walking up and down 5th Avenue, we came back to our hotel and attempted to try and finally meet our gourgeous guide Gabby (one half of the Trini-sissy Combo) on time. On our first attempt we were late and lost (try two hours late) and she hung out at the mall and met us with a huge smile on her face. So this night....I didn't want to stuff up otherwise she really would have to second guess her decision and offer to show us around Brooklyn. Her directions were impeccable (even for  3 directionally challenged Australians) and before we knew it we were wondering around Fort Greene area. She said she had made plans for Ethiopian. We were really keen to try food we had never eaten before so this was the perfect opportunity. We wandered past the Brooklyn Gallery and a performing arts centre/theatre. The evening breeze was a welcomed contrast to the summers day heat. We walked past the the extremely busy Habana.....it looked so pretty, littered with people and coloured fairy lights. We considered stopping in for some drinks but we decided to carry on to our Ethiopian restaurant Bati.

Amazingness on a plate. Time to break the bread.
Habana after hours
Bati Ethiopian Restaurant Brooklyn


It was still very warm at this point and as we sat down and started to relax, the conversation with our new friend started to flow. As the food arrived we shared giggles and swapped stories about our sisters and our crazy friends. We were still waiting for Candice to arrive (the other half of our Trini-sissy combo). By the time she had arrived we had nearly gobbled up all the delicious bread, lentils, beets and meats. The Ethiopian food was soooo tasty. I will definitely be on the look out for more good African food when I'm out. Candice was just like Gabby. Open, friendly and keen to share stories and laugh a lot. If that wasn't enough Gabby swooped on the bill and paid before we could really object. I was really overwhelmed by her kindness. I was already thrilled that she could find the time in her busy schedule to show these three strange Australian girls around her neighbourhood. She just went right ahead and paid for everything. SMH. I guess it's just so rare for people to be genuinely nice for not other reason than to show someone else a good time. I don't think I ever said it enough, but they really MADE this holiday for us. It was just the best to hang with these girls. I want to somehow return the favour. I really hope I can find a way to bring them over here for a visit. Gabby and Candice I miss you my Trini-Sissys (Trinidad Sisters :) All our lil jokes. The food. The dancing, The laughing, the teasing. This is New York to me now. You guys are a big part of our New York love.

Fab 5 Trini-Sissy's Gabby and Candice plus us 3 @ Mo's

After dinner we headed over to Mo's for a few drinks and it was soooo crowded but it in a good way. There were a lot of attractive men just watching the game on tv but the DJ was playing the best old school music so I just made my way out onto the dance floor. At first I was a little self conscious (I usually don't give a damn when I hear a song that I like but everyone seemed to just stand on the wall and watch everyone else) but then I was like "stuff this! when will I be out in Brooklyn with all these amazing songs playing again? I am so not going to waste this!" So we danced and represented Australia in the club. Thanks Gabby for the shout out!

After some serious dancing we decided to go outside and get some fresh air. While outside and chatting to new people and we were invited to an independent fashion mixer that was happening around the corner. Of course we had to wander over. How could we not right?

So the event was hosted by The Men of Living of Legacy and Women that run the World groups to celebrate Congo Independence day. It was so very inspiring to young men and women who have made the conscious choice not to follow others and social trends but rather to "promote gender empowerment by organising benefit events to raise funds to help preserve the family structure" and to "bring awareness of international gender struggles and to build an international alliance to help one problem at a time". I just felt so blessed to witness such an event. A small group of like minded people working together, encouraging creative pursuits while doing something as practical as collect school supplies to send overseas for those less fortunate.

 Everyone was really nice and made the effort to come and talk to us. We loved the designs by Ntumba and the presentation by Gisele Eboma showcasing her very own Surfing Queen designs. Honestly it really was too cool for words. I don't know I just loved how a simple night out led to some many unplanned great life moments.

De Lux Gallery in Fort Greene Brooklyn
Surfing Queen Bag available on ETSY

Another new friend Britteny and I with our gift bags :) 
Ntumba was so welcoming and even mentioned us in her newsletter. YEYAHHH AUSTRALIA ;)
I loved this dress.
Our Trini-sissys looking at the merchandise

Mo's round 2. The dance floor was too crowded so I jumped on stage ;)

 After the fashion mixer we went back to Mo's (with even more friends...shout out to Britteny, Patrica, Theresa and Sam) to finish off the night with some more dancing only this time the dance floor was even more packed. It was very interesting making our way through the dance floor. Talk about BODY TO BODY. I tried to dig it....but after a while it became too much so I went up on the stage and danced near the DJ box. I guess this is a small snippet of what it is like to live here. It's spontaneous, busy, sweaty and hot but there is ALWAYS something going down. So my lovely ones, there you have it. It's a long post I know but I really wanted to share this night with you all. I could have told you about another 10 stories that happened that night but I don't want to keep you for too long. It was just such a good spontaneous night. I would love to hear about your stories....you know, one of those nights where nothing was expected but then everything just happens and it becomes one of the most memorable nights ever.

Big Love,    Falala Mele





Candice and Pulu vi-o-lay-in'

12 comments:

  1. love that purple jacket! so cute! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could've come out to more events with you guys! It looks like you had a ball and you looked great girl :)

    Miss you already!

    xoxo,
    daisy

    imjustdaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how good it was to see you Deja. Even though it was super short..We still had the best time! I hope I can visit you again soon. LOVE LOVE LOVE from cold Australia

      Delete
  3. aw im so upset we never got the chance to met, Im so sorry!!! Nice pics, you looks so nice girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know....I really wanted to catch up with you too! I love your blog so it would have been the best time....but never mind....I really wanna come back next year for full figured fashion week. Catch up then ?

      Delete
  4. You look great girl! You totally have the best time when you go to NY. I hope to one day explore the city like you! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great girl! I hope to one day explore the city like you do when you go! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing such a beautiful blog.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like the oz riot squad hits NYC! good times mele. your hair kinds looks blondish in that picture with the neon green july 4th poster in the background... hawt! :D
    luv, jijixx

    ReplyDelete